I've owned a TLM103 and a MKH416, and I've been the happiest with the MK4. The 103 is too bright for my tastes and has a pretty wide and sensitive pattern, the 416 isn't even close to being my favorite shotgun mic. I like some of the AT shotguns better, but I do love the MKH60 and 50. I also don't like shotgun mics unless you're in a massive room, otherwise it gets tubby. So, the MK4 is quiet, clean, and has great definition. Works for everything. Most of my current demo clips have been done with it. It has that expensive German sound. It is a bit flat like a TLM 193, it needs a lift at 6kHz to really sound great, but that's no problem - I just keep that as a preset in Adobe Audition!
I've owned a TLM103 and a MKH416, and I've been the happiest with the MK4. The 103 is too bright for my tastes and has a pretty wide and sensitive pattern, the 416 isn't even close to being my favorite shotgun mic. I like some of the AT shotguns better, but I do love the MKH60 and 50. I also don't like shotgun mics unless you're in a massive room, otherwise it gets tubby. So, the MK4 is quiet, clean, and has great definition. Works for everything. Most of my current demo clips have been done with it. It has that expensive German sound. It is a bit flat like a TLM 193, it needs a lift at 6kHz to really sound great, but that's no problem - I just keep that as a preset in Adobe Audition!
ReplyDelete